How much power does the "average" household use each day?
Just what is a kWh?
- A typical electric kettle about 2 kW
- A split system air conditioner is between 3 and 9 kW
- An electric oven around 1 kW
How does the typical household use their electricity?
What's our average electricity usage?
- We have gas hot water
- Heating and cooling - our house is well insulated, so we use a lot less of both. Our heating is underfloor hydronic heating, so uses very little power. In terms of cooling we have invested in good quality outdoor blinds and inside we have thick curtains. Last summer we ran our air conditioner no more than half dozen days, and when we run it we have it set for 24 degrees.
- We make an effort to turn off lights when we leave the room. All of our lighting is compact fluorescent, which use less electricity. We are investigating the use of LED lighting which would reduce this further.
- Other than the fridge we don't have any appliances on standby, even our wireless Internet is off at the mains when we're out.
- We've bought the most efficient appliances we could afford - washing machine, fridge etc.
- We try to run a full load in the dishwasher and washing machine - and we line dry the washing, no tumble dryer in this house.
- And finally a confession we don't own any of the following: TV, microwave, stereo, toaster or hair dryer - which also has an impact.